DEBBIE RIDPATH OHI'S VIRTUAL VISITS
Updated January 16, 2017: Please note that my free visit schedule is currently full; if openings come up, these will be first offered via my newsletter. Slots for regular/paid visits still available.
As much as I enjoy doing in-person appearances, I often find it easier to do virtual visits because of scheduling, transportation and budget restrictions. I also realize that not all schools can afford to have authors and illustrators visit, especially from out of town.
15 minute virtual visits (Q&A format) are FREE to schools and libraries that have read one or more of my books,; please have a few questions prepared ahead of time). I do a limited number of these free visits through the year, so please book as far in advance as possible if you want to be guaranteed a spot. Limit of one free visit per school every two years.
For longer presentations, writing and illustration workshops: see my Honorariums page for fees. Longer visits are more flexible in format and content. In addition to the above, these can include showing process of creating a picture book (showing manuscript, sketches), a drawing demo (digital and/or non-digital), interactive writing and illustrating exercises, cartooning workshop, career tips, and more. Just let me know the needs of your students and I'll try to adapt.
For those teachers/librarians wanting to get the most out of my virtual visit, here are some tips. The same page also includes resources for children's book authors and illustrators considering doing virtual visits for the first time.
BEFORE CONTACTING ME ABOUT A VIRTUAL VISIT
Please make sure you have the following:
- A Mac or PC with a web camera. A wired Internet connection is preferred over wireless (less lag and potential screen freeze).
OK, I HAVE THE ABOVE. WHAT NEXT?
- Fill out my "Debbie Ridpath Ohi Appearance Request" form.
- Debbie will contact you about scheduling a short (5 min max) test Skype call or Google Hangout to test sound/visual as well as the actual date of Debbie virtual visit.
- Before the visit, students will read at least one of Debbie's books.
- All questions for Debbie will be written down ahead of time. You (the teacher/librarian) will decided who will ask what question and in which order. Please make sure I can hear the questions! Ideally, students will take turns coming up to the laptop microphone (or whatever device you are using) and reading their question clearly.
- For online paid visits, payment is due in advance.
ON THE DAY OF THE VISIT
- We'll do another sound/visual check 5-10 minutes before the official visit begins.
- Photos are welcome (and appreciated!) but no video recording, please.
Thank you to children's/YA book author Lee Wardlaw for helping advise me when I got started in Skype Visits! Do check out Lee's Presentation Page for great info about her Skype and in-person visits, including her Educators' Guide: Secrets To A Successful Skype Visit.